Life

After student dies from eating pasta, doctors warn of the dangers of “fried rice syndrome”

February 22nd, 2019

It’s safe to say that almost everyone has eaten leftovers before. Pop that half-eaten veggie burger in the fridge and you’ve got yourself another meal for tomorrow! Or maybe meal prep a ton of rice to take to work for the week. Whatever you personally prefer, we’ve all eaten leftovers without thinking twice about it.

But it turns out maybe we do need to think about it carefully. Did you know that leftovers can turn into an unsafe bet?

In 2008, a strange and tragic case was reported via the Journal of Clinical Microbiology about a young college student dying just hours after eating dinner.

Now the case has been brought up again and has quickly gone viral.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Chubbyemu Source: Chubbyemu

The 20-year-old man from Belgium reheated a bowl of spaghetti after coming home from school. “Okay,” you think. “Pasta’s pretty safe.” Well, that’s where you’re wrong.

Sure, we can get sick from old chicken and beef, but we can surprisingly get just as sick if not worse from other foods like pasta, sauce, soup, and more.

Here’s where the student, who goes by “AG,” went wrong: the spaghetti had been left out on the counter in room temperature for five days.

After he consumed the bowl, he went outside to play sports. Except he quickly came back, violently ill. As he rushed home he experienced severe cramps, nausea, and headaches.

AJ naturally thought it was a typical case of food poisoning, so he did what anyone else would do and tried to sleep it off…

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Chubbyemu Source: Chubbyemu

But here’s the sad part: he went to sleep and never woke up.

His parents went into his room after he missed class only to find him there, lifeless. He passed away in his sleep.

The condition that AJ suffered from is known as Fried Rice Syndrome. Later an autopsy showed the reason behind his liver failure.

The clip below further explains this syndrome that seems to not be as well-known as we’d like.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Chubbyemu Source: Chubbyemu

In the video, doctors urge people to consume with caution, especially when reheating food or meal-prepping.

It might sound extreme, but it does actually happen. So beware of how long you’ve kept your food out. Almost everything should be refrigerated – it doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold.

It’s tragic but it can almost always be avoided. Let all of your loved ones know about it!

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Advertisement