Some of the innovations here are brilliant and are sure to make you wonder “why don’t we have that?” – others might just seem silly. But one thing is for sure, Japan is full of creative inventions that are lightyears ahead of other countries.
And, of course, people love to say “they have that it _____ too!” Well, sure, but ALL 55 of these extra cool things can be found in Japan.
So scroll through and marvel at everything from refrigerators that come to you to all the ways the Japanese are obsessed with umbrellas.
1. They have face covers in fitting rooms so you don’t get oil or makeup on clothing you haven’t purchased
2. Parents can find baby holders in public bathroom stalls so they can use both hands
3. Some of their toilets let you wash your hands over the tank so it can be reused in the next flush
4. Instead of having janitors, Japanese students tidy their schools to learn responsibility and respect for their surroundings
5. They’ve built a futuristic “cemetary” where creamated remains take up very little space
6. Machines generate handwritten text so you look like you took the time to write a letter
7. They’ve invented an emotion detector for dogs that measures their heart rate so you know how stimuli affects your pup
8. You can find machines that recycle shredded office paper into toilet paper
9. They believe hospital food should actually be edible and appealing
10. Their manhole covers that are both functional and beautiful
11. Japanese fans stayed after a FIFA game to help clean up – and were happy to do it
12. They have over 300 scramble intersections that allow pedestrians to cross the street diagonally
13. Not only do people park inside the lines, they all back into their spots to make parking lots safer
14. ATMs have cane holders to accommodate Japan’s aging populating
15. Supermarkets have object scanners that reduce the need for stickers and bar codes
16. Tourist attractions have phone stands so you can take a timed photo that isn’t a terrible selfie