When it comes to clothing trends, what’s old eventually becomes new again, and retro styles from past decades always seem to make their way back into the mainstream.
For example, the pinup girl look from the 40’s and 50’s will always be popular in vintage fashion circles, the mini skirt from the 60’s will never go out of style, and even trends that we made fun of 5 years ago, like the high-wasted mom jeans from the 80’s, are making a comeback right now.
However, there is one decade that seems to have missed the fashion mark should be forgotten entirely!
Welcome to the definitive guide to men’s cringe-worthy fashion from the 1970’s. Here are 50 cringe-worthy reasons why trends from the disco era need to stay put inside John Travolta’s Stayin’ Alive pantsuit!
1) Underwear that’s all kinds of disturbing.
2) “Sears was desperate back in the 70’s or things were a lot stranger then I thought.”
3) The undeniable cats meow look
4) Volleyball jerseys were oh-so practical
5) The horrupdated Robin Hood look
6) Uhhh…men stepping out, or coming out?
“Ohhhhhhhh, honey girl…. They’re not interested in you. You’re their friend.”
7) Happy trail, or trail of tears?
8) Show off your pimp style!
9) When the guys from accounting start modeling
10) The adult film star look
11) Man’s vest with cap
12) Man-cleavage should be illegal
13) Fashion that’s not even fit for dead people
14) Borat’s not really buying it
15) He’s power puff pink super special
“My eyes are bleeding now.”
“Mine are too after I stabbed them so I’ll never see anything like this again.”
16) The 70’s made underwear porn a thing
17) Buff bods, butts & tie-dye rainbows
“The short guy looks like he’s so disgusted by his clothes that he doesn’t want to touch himself.”
“We don’t want to touch him, either.”
18) This 70’s fad is a little bit sheepish.
“It takes a very special man to wear an outfit sported by his sheep. Very, very special.”
19) Men in belted sweaters
“Grandma + cowboy… Western Crochet!”
20) Grown-up men wore onesies
“No one past the age of infancy should be wearing a freaking onesy. wtf!”
21) The playground brat pack
“Worst boyband ever.”
“White socks in black shoes? Ok I’m a guy and I know we can’t do that.”
22) Men in belted sweaters, part 2
23) What do they need such big legs for?
“It’s just hard to tear your eyes away from everything below the neck. Or to get past the hair!”
24) Band of poncho brothers
“Voice from the background: Honey, have you seen the bathroom rug?”
25) Thermals that keep men from getting laid
26) Not even a great smile can save this mustard yellow look
27) Worst dressed man ever?
“I’m getting vertigo just looking at it.”
28) Just say no to wearing grandma’s silk robes
29) The Village People slumber party
30) Like father, like son
“Toyboy & sugar daddy attire.”
“That’s a sugar daddy and his boy.”
31) 1970’s vs 1950’s men’s undies
32) Giraffe-print leotard
“It amazes me that anyone had sex in the 70’s….”
“Honey, hand me my giraffe twinset.”
33) What a bad LSD fashion trip looks like
34) Fashion faux pas for the super tall gents
“…for the modern stilt walker.”
“They’re pants AND large Chinese finger-traps!”
35) How to dress for a convention of evil super villains
“The guy in the middle is some sort of Dr Strange psychic magic powers kind of dude.”
36) When the past gets sick of itself
“Forward Fashion Looks… I feel like this was a Gender Fluid magazine before it was a thing.”
37) It’s missing something
38) You probably shouldn’t trust it
@Maggie Grover Bacher:
“The bigger the collar the cooler you are, man. Get with the times.”
39) Matching his and her jumpsuits
“The inventor of the onesie must have had a profound hatred for mankind.”